Monday, July 09, 2007

Slowing down

Mike and I were talking about how sad it is that America is one of the most over worked countries in the world. Seriously I think Japan is the only country that works more than us. Mike mentioned how in England they work an average of 4 days a week and have almost a month of vacation in a year! Plus some European countries close down businesses for a few hours mid day for Ciesta.

I said they are lucky and I wonder why that is. Mike said the sad truth is Americans want too much and are way too materialistic. We have to keep up with our friends, neighbors, etc. Why is that. There are people living in one room homes, that have to walk for miles a day, etc, that are happier than most Americans.

I am so guilty of this. I have my moments where I know that although we aren't rich and can't get everything we want, I know that we are blessed. Then the next day I will be in the I want mode. Then when I realize I can't get it I am bummed out. How sad is that.

I think I take for granted all that I do have. I may not have a brand new car, but my van gets me where I need to be. Plus I don't have to travel out in the hot sun. My house may not be even near done with remodeling and it won't be for years, but I am grateful that #1 we have a place to live and that #2 we have done some things with it. We don't have money to go on big vacations or buy whatever we want, but we can afford what we need. My kids don't go hungry and they are happy. What more can I really ask for?

Plus I have a husband that works so hard so that I can stay home with our kids and do the job I always wanted to do. He has provided so much for us and I am grateful for the sacrafices he has made for us. I have 3 beautiful children. They may drive me crazy at times, but I love them and cannot imagine my life without them.

I also think as Americans we are too hard on ourselves. I read an article how European mothers are more content and don't feel like they have to be perfect. I think sometimes I am too hard on myself because being a housewife has that stigma of eating bon-bons and watching TV. In reality it isn't like that. It is a busy, demanding job that is never done. Still because of that stigma, I feel like I should always be working harder or have things done. I used to think I was the only one who never had her whole house clean at once or clean for more than 5 minutes. Thankfully I am realizing that in reality no one, unless they are OCD does. I feel better knowing I am not the only one.

I have the greatest friends I could ask for. Sadly some are far away and sadly I don't get to see some that live in the valley too often, but I love them and know that they have made a positive influence in my life. I would not be who I am without them. They have all helped me in one way or another.

I just think we all need to slow down and be thankful for what we have and not be hard on ourselves. Maybe I am the only that is. Mike always tells me that I am my own worst critic. So that is my goal now.

I am not sure if that all made sense, since it came from the ramblings of my mind it may have jumped around a bit, lol.

1 comment:

Tiff Hunt said...

I agree, we all need to slow down. I love this post. It really made me reflect on what I have. You are great. I sure hope you are feeling more energetic. I will remember to take it slow and recognize the blessings in my life. I really needed to read this post. Thanks for posting it.


My Weight Loss