Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hi My name is Patti and I am a Shopaholic

Okay so I am not super horrible. I don't spend hundreds of dollars or put my family in huge debt, but yes I love nice things and I love to shop. I am very frugal when I shop, but it is a weakness. I just feel that with recent events *gas prices* *cough, Cough*, Emmalee starting preschool and all other prices going up because of gas prices, that I need to lay low when it comes to shopping for a while. I just need more will power. Any will power or money saving tips would be great.

I thought I would share ours too.

1. Coupons: I am a huge believer in coupons. On a good month I can spend under $400 a month for everything (sometimes lower).

I use

Couponsense

It is worth the money. Saving $300-$600 (that was a great month!) a month on groceries, pays for the $15 a month plus cost of papers. I get so much free and under $1 things that I have a rotating year supply. Plus with expert shopper and their coupon file system it saves a ton of time! It is great!


2. Mike cuts his and Dawson's hair himself (picked it up on his mission) and Emmalee and I go to a girl in my ward that only charges $10/haircut!

3. Clearance shop for kids clothes. I get lucky and run into great clearances all the time. I buy under $3 pieces of clothing all the time to stock up the kids wardrobe. I went to Old Navy last night. They had a killer sale. I bought $300 worth of clothes for $60!!

4. Dilute the kids juice

5. I try to run farther away errands when Mike gets home since his car gets better gas.

6. Craigslist and freecycle..enough said!

I know I have more but I cannot think of them now.

I want your tips for saving money, budgeting and sticking to a budget!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

let's see... how to save money... i'm not good in the food department with that since i'm so picky with what i eat. i never use coupons because the stuff i buy is never on sale. i try to buy cheaper brands (as long as the ingredients are good)... a good way that i do save is i don't buy snack foods much (chips, crackers, cookies, etc)... i also don't make them... so we really save that way since most people buy that kind of food. i use fruit as my kids snacks for the most part. as for clothes- hm, i don't really buy any. haha. no, i do. just try to buy on sale and not pay full price for anything unless i HAVE to have it! ha. and i try to keep my house warmer than i'd like so i can save on my srp bill! i'm not much for saving money... i just try not to buy stuff i don't have to have or really need. we go without luxuries! i'm so glad you found stuff at old navy! i was so excited to find that sale. sorry i couldn't end up going with you!

Teanne said...

Us stay at home moms gotta find as many ways as possible to save $$, huh? I am continually amazed that we have made it month after month on our income. I think paying tithing definetly helps.
Other things that we do, is we hardly ever eat out or even go on dates, we hardly ever by clothes. My kids live off of hand-me downs(from you, which means someones got to buy them, right?), and Billy and I might buy a couple items of clothing maybe once a yr- sometimes for my bday present or a mother's day gift. I usually don't buy myself something extra unless it is for my bday or something.
We get our hair cut more like every 6 months rather than every 6 weeks. I buy as much off brand stuff as possible- so much cheaper. And we just don't get extra, unneeded stuff (for the most park- we splurge a little when we can.)
Oh one more- we only buy toys for our kids on their birthdays or christmas.


My Weight Loss