Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Amazed!

Well some of you may know that Peyton has been the ear infection king this year, I think it is 5 since January now. I have never experienced this with my other kids. At the most they each had one or 2. Well last week Peyton started fevering lightly, lost his appetite and was continually tugging his ear and said "owie, owie,a few times. Sadly I know when he has an ear infection now.

Well this started on Tuesday of last week. He was worse by evening and by Wednsday he didn't want to eat at all and had become a royal Grumpuss Von Puffy-Bottom. So I decided that I would take him into the Dr the next day. I debated and knew since I had no idea what time I would get in and how he would be tomorrow that Activity Days for the next day, would need to be cancelled. I also dreaded the Dr because she warned me if he had another infection, we would have to talk tubes (not excited on the idea of my 16 month old having surgery).

I called my Primary Pres, her daughter is my clas prez, to let her know that they didn't need to call the girls about the next day because I had to cancel. I told her what was going on and how this was atleast his 5th since January.

She told me that one of her sons had 6 infectins in a 6 month time span and their Dr was talking tubes too. So they decided to try a Chiropractor and after a few adjustments he never had an ear infection again. I was intrigued.

I caled a Chiro who used to be in our ward. I got him in the next day. He explained how a misaligned neck can cause the drainage to pool in his ear (yuck). He said that it wouldn't be an overnight fix but that it works. He does this for his kids and his dad did it for him as a kid and it really does work.

So he did a quick neck adjustment. Peyton did not like it since he was confined by his hands and mine holding him down with his arms. It was a bit freaky watching but I reminded myself that he knew what he was doing.

That night he was still a bit fussy and feverish (the fevers were up to 103). I knew he wa sstill sick but he slept way better that night and within 3 days he had no fevers and was feeling so much better. I am taking him in for a second adjustment tomorrow and hopefully this will eliminate his ear infections. This poor kid has been on way too many antibiotics in his short life between ear infections, thrush and his clogged tear duct when he was a newbie. So I was happy to try an alternative. I am not against antibiotics, but if something else can eliminate the problem (I have talked to people it has worked for) I am happy to try it. I am amazed and happy with the results.

He did lose a pound while sick, he is 18 lbs 4 oz. It is hard enough to get this kid to eat well, but when he is sick it is next to impossible. Luckily he did drink lots of milk and other fluids. He still isn't walking, I hope soon though. He can take stpes but chooses not to unless I make him.

I am getting concerned about his weight and am dreading his next Dr visit. Our pedi had suggested adding fattier foods to his diet. Or another translation empty calories, which I am not a fan of doing. I don't want to feed him sausage and butter and heavy things all the time. Who wants to clog their baby's arteries?? Besides that he doesn't eat alot as it is.

These growth charts are so annoying. I mean how accurate it is to compare their size to 100 random kids. They don't factor in genetics or different growth patterns or anything. I find it funny that they have all these campaigns about not feeding your kids junk or hight fat foods, but yet I am told to feed him all these things. Weird isn't

My friend Tiffany has a little boy Peyton's age who is also in the small for his age and walking late club (he is walking now though). She started giving him relive for kids powder in his milk. It isn't high in fat or anything but has all the nutrition other foods are lacking. HE has gained a pound in a month and is getting lots of muscle tone and looks great. He looked adorable before too, but you can tell he has some padding now. I am going to try the Relive on Peyton. I really hope that it helps, because I swear the Dr made me feel like she thinks I am not trying hard to help him gain weight. I am but you can't force feed a 1 yr old that's for sure. Anyways wish Peyton luck.

6 comments:

Tiffanyrose said...

Patti, I did that with Andy and Porter and it helped a ton!! Don't stress about the weight thing. You are doing what is healthy for your child. I refused to do that with Porter and look how healthy he is now. It just takes time. I am sure that having that many ear infections didn't help his weight but just wait and see, he will start gaining and walking. I doubt he will be a chunky toddler but he is a healthy toddler. You are a great mom!!

Morris family said...

hey girl just commenting on the whole tube thing. 3 of my 4 kids had tubes..it was a very quick and easy procedure. but let me know if the whole chiro thing works out , that is very interesting. sariah was my only one that didnt need tubes.

Cossebooms said...

I hope things get better for your little guy. I know completely the pain of ear infections. I have learned it's a hereditary trait that kids can get just like blonde/brown hair is a trait. My little guy got tubes and I am so glad. Antibiotics didn't work for him, he always had to do the shot. My little girl has had 4 ear infections in less than 4 months this year. So we see the ENT next week about tubes for her. I don't want to take anymore chances with my kids and ear infections since I have some hearing loss due to ear infections. I hope it continues to go well for him with the chiropractor. But if you had to do tubes I know a great dr. and it's not that bad. Also my family (sister and mom) are huge fans of the relive. My sister sells it and swears by tha stuff. So good luck with that too. By the way I have that same vacuum. We bought ours a couple of months ago and it works great!

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I take it you talked to Stacey Tenney about Beau and Bro./chiropractor Bennion. AMEN on the charts & stuff too! Treston was kicked out for being under the 5th percentile and pretty much remains in it or under it. He pukes whole milk so I give him 2%. Our DR gave me a can of Duocal to add to soft foods & milk...he puked that too. In our case T eats everything and once his belly is hard and he's playing, he's done. But he's still a little guy. If he's had so many antibiotics, which flush a baby out & pretty much give them the runs...how do the expect him to gain weight? And he's picky...whoa. Walking....sounds lie Treston was. Once he was in our empty apartment the week we were moving in....he just started walking like there was nothing to it. I guess he just liked getting his clothes SO dirty at my parents by crawling and maybe realized a brand new place wasn't going to be so fun for getting dirty. : ) Good luck on the fattening up baby train. Treston wieghs about the same as Peyton. Dr's are just goofy! I'm just gonna say, but the generic pediasure to try fattening him up. WOW....that was long.

Tiffany said...

so glad peyton is feeling better. alternative medicine is the way to go, i swear! and congrats on the vacuum. let me know how you like it after it's been a while! oh, and congrats on losing 24 lbs! that's AWESOME! I'M EXCITED FOR YOU! KEEP IT UP! come swimming anytime. call me!

Andrea said...

I hope you found the solution for Peyton's poor ears! If you think differently than what your Dr. tells you go with your mommy feeling and look for alternatives. Don't worry about Peyton not gaining weight. No child has ever starved with a fridge full of food. Hugs to you Patti!


My Weight Loss