Monday, April 09, 2007

Finding humor in things....................

I used to think that I was the most patient person in theworld. When I babysat as a teenager, I thought I was gonna be the best mom in the world. I was attentive to the kids needs and never lost my cool. My friends commented that they liked how I could laugh at my mistakes, etc. Then I became a mom and that was a whole new ball game.

When Dawson was first born, life was pretty easy. Having one kid meant that I still had free hands sometimes, I could nap when he napped and he was a baby and could do no wrong. I fed him perfectly, dressed him perfectly, etc. I had heard people comment on how hard it was to be a stay at home mom and how they never had time to do everything. I just didn't see it....yet. lol

When Emmalee came I understood what those other moms were saying. It wasn't because Emmalee was a super hard baby or Dawson was too demanding. They actually adjusted beautifully to the transition.

I on the other hand didn't have a free hand, my kids weren't always dressed perfectly (unless we were going out). My house and chores started to feel like an enemy that was building up against me. I caught myself thinking a cookie here or there isn;t so bad or *the old me shuddered at this* Dawson can have a bit of soda if it will keep him happy.

Then there was the aspect of myself. I had gained ALOT of weight. I wasn't able to do my hair makeup or shower everyday. I was so preoccupied with everything else that I had lost site of my self and why I was doing this thing called motherhood. I had a rough time for a bit.

Juggling all of the motherhood balls got harder. Don't get me wrong I LOVE being a mom, but it isn't easy. I felt like I might have to get another hand or juggle them with my feet. The patience I had mentioned having as a teenager had decided to up and run away. I had no idea where she went.

Now I have struggled on and off with having some patience back and feeling caught up on the house or what not. I realized that I was letting everything get to me and I was wound up way too tight. Through the years I have found ways to adjust.

One thing I have learned is that I have to have time for myself and something to look forward to everyday. Somedays that is shopping or getting out alone and somedays it is just to get a shower early in the morning or get dressed and do my makeup even if I am not going out. Those things have helped alot. Still my patience wasn't quite where I wanted it to be.

I was talking to my best friend a while ago and we got on the subject of how motherhood is harder than we thought it would be. She said they had talked about that in relief society. Her Relief Society President commented that she learned never pray for patience. She said you will get the hardest trials of your life that way. Instead she said to learn to find humor in things, even when your kids are driving you nuts. Look for the small things that make you happy. That is my new goal. I want to be a calmer mommy and I think this is a good thing to master. I think (and hope) life can be a lot easier if you look at the world that way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was straight from the heart and beautifully written! I have felt the exact same way and it's good to hear that I'm not alone in that way of thinking, and I might use some of the tips you gave on how you are getting through it.

Like you, I LOVE being a mom, but somehow along the way I forgot how to be Angel and I even forgot what she likes to do. I keep thinking "I'll put that off until Gavin starts school" but really, I think I need to do things just for me sometimes. Now if I can just learn to do that without the guilt!

(sorry so long lol)


My Weight Loss